Spanish Language and Culture
- Presencial | Distancia
Learn fast with our ELE Courses (Spanish as a foreign language)
Our uniquely immersive Spanish courses are designed to help students reach an effective and operating level of Spanish in a short time – so that they're quickly able to think and communicate fluently in Spanish! These courses are the perfect opportunity to start learning or to improve your level of Spanish. The program goes beyond class hours, creating an engaging environment with interesting activities and frequent contact with native speakers. The methodology is participatory, intensive, and mainly oral. The classes are designed to be fun and motivating, capturing the inspired interest of each student.
At Spanish Institute for Global Education we follow a communicative approach to teaching. The fundamental objective of this methodology is for students to learn to communicate in Spanish in a wide variety of contexts and situations. In addition to the language, the students have the opportunity to learn about our culture and society.
Two program formats are available to students:
- Main program: 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week
- A la carte program: Each student can request from 5 to 25 hours a week
Content of the ELE courses (Spanish as a Foreign Language):
- Conversation: Helping learners develop the key communication skills of listening and speaking is a central task of our school. These skills are not acquired by studying, but by practicing. With this in mind, the classroom is an environment that promotes each student's development through linguistic immersion, deliberate practice, and the implementation of different techniques ranging from memorization and initial repetition to free use of the language. We work in pairs and in teams to promote interaction through such activities as small conversations, routines, role plays, songs, dramatizations, reading aloud, creation of short stories, simulations, mock arguments, and learning by playing. The objective is to achieve fluency, so that students learn to converse correctly and with the confidence to be able to use the Spanish language right from the start.
- Reading and writing: Written communication skills are central for establishing that lessons have been learned correctly. In the reading and writing elements of our courses, we focus on communication - with students writing to communicate, and reading to understand. These skills can also be practiced outside the classroom, with students encouraged from the start to write short texts that communicate ideas that are of interest to them. Throughout the process,students begin to note their own improvement in the Spanish language.
- Grammar: The grammar taught at Spanish Institute consists of providing students with a solid grammatical foundation to build upon. We do not build language from grammar, but from language itself. The analysis and structure of grammar provides clarity, norms, and meaning to deepen our students' understanding of its use in relation to communication. This facilitates the learning of grammar in a context of immediate understanding and use, relating it to daily life rather than leaving it simply as a theoretical and remote metalanguage.
- Culture, history and society: Our ELE courses offer the perfect opportunity to learn Spanish surrounded by authentic Spanish culture. Students learn the history of Spain, and gain a deeper understanding of Spanish life, including its traditions, cuisine, and belief system. Through this uniquely immersive experience, students will soon discover a vast range of new vocabulary and expressions to learn. Our immersion programs also offer students wonderful opportunities to visit renowned local monuments and attractions, and to participate in frequent activities where they can experiment with and practice what they have learned.